Saturday 6 July 2019

Sweet Quenches : Red Sparkling Lemonade Mocktail


When you reside in Malaysia, it's almost everyday you will find a day where you just want a good dose of cold sweet, sour and sparkling goodness to quench your thirst on the days when the heat just gets the best of you. Inspired by the trending hashtags of the 4th of July (not that myself or anyone in Malaysia celebrates that day), I came up with this quick mocktail that is both sweet and sour with some sparkling goodness - Red Sparkling Lemonade Mocktail.



For those of you reading who unfamiliar with the weather in Malaysia, well, let's just say when it isn't raining, it's summer all year round. It's the same for every South East Asian countries, really. So when the sun decides to blaze brightly and boldly on the people, it's drinks like these that can help to quench the great thirst. What makes it even more special? Well, this one is definitely simple to make and most importantly, it is also healthy...well sort of. It's definitely less sugar that I can assure. Below is the simple recipe that anyone can try at home: -

What you need are: -
  • 1 can of club soda water approx. 325ml (I used Schweppes Soda Water or Spritzer Sparkling Water)
  • a whole lemon
  • 3/4 cups of brown sugar - boiled with hot water to turn to syrup
  • red artificial colouring
  • mint leaves (optional)
How to make: -
  1. Dilute the brown sugar first with hot water. The thickness of the syrup is pretty much depends on own preference. Also the amount of sugar depends entirely on own preference. Some may enjoy a drink that is sweeter than usual. For me I just like a good balance between sweet and sour. Now, there is no significant nutritional benefits of using brown sugar to this drink - that is entirely a myth (Read here for more). But I prefer using brown sugar because it tastes less sugary sweet than white sugar but that's just me. Of course, should one wants to use white sugar, it is entirely acceptable. 
  2. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juices out. Take out the pulps too if you want. I don't know why but when it comes to lemon or oranges, I just have to have those pulps in my juice. Mix the lemon juice with the brown sugar syrup and stir. 
  3. Take one drop of the red artificial colouring into the mix and mix them altogether and let it turn into red liquid.
  4. Then pour in the club soda water in the lemon and syrup mix. Ensure to tilt the jug or tumbler of the juice so the bubbles won't spill over quickly while pouring in the club soda water. But if you love watching the soda bubbles bubble up inside the jug, by all means have your fun. 
  5. Should you decide to serve this drink for your guests, a few good mint leaves would make the appearances a lot more appealing. Don't forget the ice. This mocktail is definitely better with a good chunk of ice to let it chill throughout the day.


Honestly, I'm not usually the type to make fancy punches or drinks just like I hardly take that great time to cook up something delicious in the kitchen (I have bossy people running the kitchen which doesn't allow me to be free of making concoctions of food and drinks) but once in a while, I do like to entertain myself and the benefits that comes with that is that my family gets to enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment